HP recently unveiled new commercial mobility solutions that transform the workplace and unlock the power of productivity. Eight new mobile devices, an ecosystem of accessories, and new strategic relationships allow companies to streamline and simplify their business operations while providing the IT department confidence the task can be managed securely.
“Mobile devices are changing how we live and work, and they pose significant challenges to IT departments who have to support their now mobile workforces while keeping corporate data managed and secure,” said Ketan Patel, Director, Computing Category, PPS, HP India. “HP is the world’s largest commercial computing provider to the world’s largest companies. No other company is better suited to address commercial mobility than HP. Our devices feature built-in security, manageability, and durability packaged in innovative, stylish designs that end users crave. When paired with our ISVs’ robust solutions, HP has created an ecosystem that helps companies powerfully and securely harness the promise of mobility.”
Mobility not only changes where people work, but how they work. The current approach to business mobility is to retrofit consumer devices and attempt to make them enterprise-ready, or drive customer lock-in to a single platform or device.
HP is taking a modular approach featuring secure, purpose-built devices. By supporting multiple operating systems, HP is giving business customers a choice of application eco-systems and user experiences. When coupled with the new software offerings from HP and its partners, the company has created a complete mobility solution for all businesses – including education, field service, healthcare, public safety and retail industries.
Purpose-built devices to mobilize the workforce
New tablets, 2-in-1devices, and notebook PCs running Microsoft Windows operating system, along with new tablets built on Google’s Android™ operating system, all feature built-in security and can be tailored to meet specific use-case requirements with a focus on embracing business mobility. These new devices include:
- HP Pro Slate 8 and HP Pro Slate 12 are high-definition[i] (HD) commercial-grade Android tablets. Available in 8-inch or 12-inch diagonal displays respectively, the tablets are powered by a Quad-Core Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 800 series processor[ii], and support a 4:3 aspect ratio to easily view business documents and access business applications. Less than 8 mm thin, these lightweight tablets offer powerful computing and business-day battery life[iii] with enterprise-grade security and manageability. Both devices are designed with business productivity in mind featuring a wide range of accessories enabled by HP’s Zero Force connector. HP Pro Slate 8 is one of the first tablets to market using Corning® Gorilla® Glass 4, Corning’s toughest cover glass to date.
- HP Duet Pen, the first to use Qualcomm Snapdragon digital pen technology[iv] on both a tablet and regular paper, is included with the HP Pro Slate 8 and HP Pro Slate 12. The pen is part of the HP Blended Reality Ecosystem, helping employees be more productive and create easily shareable content by writing and digitizing input from the device’s screen or via a regular sheet of paper using the HP Paper Folio[v].
- HP Elite x2 1011 G1 is a lightweight, stylish, 11.6-inch diagonal 2-in-1 Windows device running Windows 8 Pro easily transforms from a tablet to a laptop with Ultrabook configurations available[vi]. Tested to military specs for durability[vii], the Elite x2 adapts to personal work preferences with an ecosystem of optional accessories[viii] that includes an industry-first WiGig enterprise wireless dock[ix] based on a joint collaboration with Intel, along with a cover, a lightweight travel keyboard and an optional Wacom pen[x].
- The Intel Atom based HP Pro Tablet 10 EE running Windows and the HP Pro Slate 10 EE Android tablet are built for the mobile workforce in the education, healthcare, manufacturing, and retail verticals. Both feature a durable design that passes IP-52[xi] testing for dust, moisture, and drop testing[xii], an on-board garage for the optional stylus, Built in Optional 3G Connectivity plus a hard-wired keyboard base with trackpad option[xiii].
- HP Pro Tablet 408 G1 is an affordable, 9 mm thin, 8-inch diagonal Intel® Atom® based business tablet that provides a full Windows 8.1 experience and the mobile accessories[xiv] to help keep users productive when away from their PC. With business-class features like micro-HDMI, up to 64 GB of storage[xv] and an 8 MP AF rear camera with flash and Optional built in 3G Connectivity, the device gives IT the serviceability, security, manageability and commercial lifecycle it requires.
- HP ElitePad 1000 G2 Healthcare Tablet is designed to improve caregiver productivity and enhance patient interaction. The durable and lightweight solution has an antimicrobial[xvi] treatment to protect the product, can be cleaned easily, and meets IP 54[xvii] Deployable in any clinical environment, the tablet helps reduce the risk of medical errors by using the 2D barcode reader to validate personnel, patients, and catalog and administrate medication.
- HP ElitePad 1000 G2 Rugged Tablet is an ideal solution both in and out of the office for mobile workers in manufacturing or in-field environments. IP 65[xviii] rated for water and dust and MIL-STD 810[xix] testing, with up to 20 hours of battery life[xx] and a 2D barcode reader to quickly access information.
- The all new HP Retail Case for ElitePad offers retailers a versatile mobile and fixed POS solution for their employees, with two built-in cradle areas for mounting payment devices and the ability to dock to existing POS solutions. The new solution’s design features hand and shoulder straps, giving retail store operators an easier and more comfortable way to access inventory and product availability, as well as improving the checkout experience.
- The HP Retail Case for ElitePad also allows retailers to physically attach a mobile payment device (PED or PIN entry device) of choice to the case from vendors like Ingenico, Verifone, AnywhereCommerce, and PayPal and accept a range of payments such as EMV, NFC, MSR, and most digital wallets.
- HP EliteBook Folio 1020 family – the industry’s thinnest and lightest business-class notebooks – consists of the HP EliteBook 1020 and the HP EliteBook 1020 Special Edition (SE), both ultra-thin at 15. 7 mm. The SE takes advantage of HP’s exclusive blend of magnesium-lithium alloy and reusable carbon fiber to achieve a weight of only 1 kg (2.2 lbs.)[xxi]. Both share a tough, cutting-edge design that offers elite business-class performance.
Solutions focused on mobilizing industries
HP is collaborating with leading independent software vendors (ISVs) in healthcare, field service and public safety industries, including Cerner, Intergraph and SAP, along with system integrators and service providers to deliver complete business solutions focused on mobility.
- Cerner is working with HP on delivering purpose-built healthcare solutions and applications that will enable clinicians to further embrace mobility in the healthcare industry.
- Intergraph is announcing the release of its Windows 8.1 mobile application for public safety agencies. Intergraph Mobile Responder extends Intergraph’s Computer Aided Dispatch solution to emergency responders in the field. Mobile Responder is optimized for devices such as HP’s ElitePad 1000 G2 and the HP ElitePad 1000 G2 Rugged Tablet as part of a joint partnership between HP, Intergraph and Microsoft.
- The SAP® Enterprise Asset Management (SAP EAM) solution is planned to be an integration centerpiece to help bring innovative workflow solutions to vertical customers and industries, extending the mobility service value chain for service and inventory management coupled with the HP ElitePad 1000 G2 Rugged Tablet.
- HP Enterprise Services (ES) will also deliver an end-to-end mobility business solution. Within this collaboration, HP ES will take the newly announced devices and integrate them into the customer’s network while adding mobility software, apps and security layers to simplify implementation and management.
Mobile management and connectivity made simple
Device proliferation in businesses puts unique challenges on IT as expertise and resources are strained. HP also announced HP Touchpoint Manager, a cloud-based solution that works across PCs, mobile devices and major operating systems, including Apple iOS, Google Android, and Microsoft Windows, and helps businesses manage and secure a wide range of devices, operating systems, and data along with its workforce. HP Touchpoint Manager is available on all new commercial devices from HP[xxii].
In addition, new HP commercial devices[xxiii] now come with the option to access the iPass global Wi-Fi network. iPass and HP are making it simpler and more affordable for business users to connect to the internet locally and stay connected even when they are travelling. Customers who purchase new HP devices with this option will be able to register and automatically get access to millions of hotspots on the iPass global Wi-Fi network[xxiv] for one year at no additional cost.
Pricing and availability[xxv]
- HP Pro Slate 8 is expected to be available in May with a starting price of INR 33,000/-.
- HP Pro Slate 12 is expected to be available in May with a starting price of INR 41,500/-.
- HP Elite x2 1011 G1 is available now with a starting price of INR 85,000/-.
- HP Pro Tablet 408 G1 is available now with a starting price of INR 23,500/-.
- HP Pro Slate 10 EE is available now with a starting price of INR 22,000/-.
- HP Pro Tablet 10 EE is available now with a starting price of INR 25,000/-.
- HP ElitePad 1000 G2 Healthcare Tablet is expected to be available in July with a starting price of INR 85,000/-.
- HP ElitePad 1000 G2 Rugged Tablet is expected to be available in July with a starting price of INR 85,000/-.
- The HP Retail Case for ElitePad is expected to be available in March with a starting price of INR INR 26,000/- for a no battery Case and INR 29,000/- for a Case including battery.
- The HP EliteBook Folio 1020 Standard Edition is expected to be available in March with a starting price of INR 95,000/-.
To learn more about HP’s approach to business mobility and wide range of end-to-end solutions, visit www.hp.com/businessmobility and www.hp.com/newstyleit.
HP creates new possibilities for technology to have a meaningful impact on people, businesses, governments and society. With the broadest technology portfolio spanning printing, personal systems, software, services and IT infrastructure, HP delivers solutions for customers’ most complex challenges in every region of the world. More information about HP (NYSE: HPQ) is available at http://www.hp.com.
[i] High-definition content is required for high-definition images.
[ii] Multi-Core is designed to improve performance of certain software products. Not all customers or software applications will necessarily benefit from use of this technology. 64-bit computing system required. Performance will vary depending on your hardware and software configurations. Qualcomm’s numbering is not a measurement of clock speed.
[iii] Tested by HP using continuous HD video playback, 720p (1280×720) resolution, 150 nits brightness, system audio level at 50%, player audio level at 100%, played from local storage, headphone attached, wireless off, auto dimming off. Actual battery life will vary depending on configuration and maximum capacity will naturally decrease with time and usage.
[iv] The HP Duet Pen is enabled by Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ digital pen technology by Qualcomm Technologies, Inc.
[v] HP Paper Folio sold separately.
[vi] Not all models qualify as an Ultrabook.
[vii] MIL STD 810G testing is not intended to demonstrate fitness for U.S. Department of Defense contract requirements or for military use. Test results are not a guarantee of future performance under these test conditions.
[viii] Sold separately or as an optional feature.
[ix] The WiGig-compatible notebook or tablet must be positioned within 1.2 m (4 ft) and without obstruction in the line of sight of the wireless dock. HP Advanced Wireless Docking is compatible with the HP Elite x2 1011 G1 with
an optional installed Intel Tri Band Wireless AC with WiGig Combo card.
[x] The HP Elite x2 1011 Wacom Pen is available as a configurable option available on models ordered with a digitizer screen. Models without a built-in digitizer are incompatible with the HP Elite x2 1011 Wacom Pen.
[xi] IP-52 is not covered under HP limited warranty.
[xii] IP-52 and HP Total Test Process test results are not a guarantee of future performance under these test conditions.
[xiii] Sold separately or as an optional feature.
[xiv] Sold separately or as an optional feature.
[xv] For storage drive, GB = 1 billion bytes. Optional Micro-Secure Digital eXtended Capacity (SDXC) card sold separately. For Solid State Drives (SSD), GB = 1 billion bytes. Actual formatted capacity is less. Up to 6GB of system disk is reserved for Windows system recovery and EFI system partition.
[xvi] IP 54 testing is completed. The solution is planned to be covered under HP limited warranty for IP 54 dust and water ingress. Quick release pins, camera lens, flash cover, bar code reader cover, screws, screen, and HP logo are not treated with an antimicrobial.
[xvii] The solution is covered under HP limited warranty for IP 54 dust and water ingress.
[xviii] The solution is covered under HP limited warranty for IP 65 dust and water ingress.
[xix] MIL STD testing is pending and is not intended to demonstrate fitness for U.S. Department of Defense contract requirements or for military use. Test results are not a guarantee of future performance under these test conditions.
[xx] Testing conducted by HP consisting of full battery discharge while running a series of productivity scripts against the following applications (which may or may not be included with your particular product): Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 7.0, Adobe® Illustrator® CS2, Adobe® Photoshop® CS2, Apple® Quicktime 7.1, Intervideo® WinDVD® 8, Macromedia® Flash 8, Microsoft® Office® 2003 Pro, Microsoft® Project 2003, and Winzip® 10.0. Prior to testing, the system was fully charged, display brightness was set at 60 nits, wireless was turned off, and auto dim, suspend, hibernate, and all other programs, utilities, and services not essential to running the computer system or battery life test were disabled. Battery life will vary depending on the product model, configuration, loaded applications, features, use, wireless functionality, and power management settings. The maximum capacity of the battery will naturally decrease with time and usage.
[xxi] Final weight of the 1020 is 1.2 kg (2.68 lbs.), the 1020 SE is pending.
[xxii] HP Touchpoint Manager supports Android™, iOS, and Windows® operating systems, and PCs, notebooks, tablets, and smartphones from various manufacturers. Not available in all countries. See www.hp.com/touchpoint for availability information. HP Touchpoint Manager requires purchase of a subscription.
[xxiii] HP commercial and consumer Notebook and Tablet PCs with OS of Windows 8.1, Android 4.2.2 and above. Devices with Windows 7 and Chrome OS may be added in subsequent months. Devices with FreeDos and Ubuntu OS are not included. For more information, visit www.hp.com/go/stayconnected.
[xxiv] Connectivity not available everywhere. The offer excludes premium iPass inflight access on planes. Subscription renewal and purchase of the iPass service required after the one year trial period. To view a hotspot location map and to learn more about the service visit www.ipass.com/hpoffer.
[xxv] Estimated street prices. Actual prices may vary.