At the end of every year, it is customary for internet giants like Facebook, Google and Twitter to reveal information about the Top Trends that their platforms were hosts to in the year. In line with this custom, Facebook has shared the Top Indian Trends. While some are on expected lines, some are surprises. Let us take a look at this today
Some highlights from their 2015 lists include:
- The US presidential election was the most talked-about topic globally, with nearly a year to go to Election Day. The November 13 attacks in Paris, the Syrian civil war and refugee crisis, the Nepal earthquakes and the Greek debt crisis followed. The full list can be seen here: http://in.yearinreview.fb.com/2015/ and India topics yearinreview.fb.com /
- Ed Sheeran topped the list of most talked-about entertainers, followed by Taylor Swift at #2, Kanye West at #3, Nicky Jam at #4, and Wiz Khalifa rounding out the top 5.
- Game of Thrones ruled the small screen as the most talked-about TV show, while Star Wars: The Force Awakens led the list of most talked-about movies.
- Floyd Mayweather, Jr. and Manny Pacquiao were the most talked-about athletes of the year following their highly watched fight in May.
- Clash of Kings, a new RTS RPG multiplayer war game developed by ELEX, was Facebook’s Game of the Year, as it achieved chart-topping success on both web and mobile with more than 70 million players worldwide. You can download the accompanying assets here.
Let us look at India Specific trends now
- Narendra Modi
- E-commerce boom
- A.P.J. Abdul Kalam
- Baahubali: The Beginning
- Nepal Earthquakes
- Salman Khan
- Cricket World Cup and Indian Premier League
- Bihar Elections
- Deepika Padukone
- Indian Army
- India Gate
- Taj Mahal
- Marine Drive, Mumbai
- Nandi Hills
- Gateway of India
- Har ki Pauri, Haridwar
- Qutub Minar
- Mussoorie – The Queen of Hills
- Ramoji Film City
- Golden Temple Amritsar
New Sticker Packs (India)
- Biscuit in Love
- Bigli Migli
- Love, Bigli Migli
- Dance Party
- Boo and Buddy
- MiM on the Move
- Angry Birds
They’ve launched a website at yearinreview.fb.com as well as other assets to tell the story of 2015 on Facebook. Here is some more information about Trends in 2015:
- A video showing the most discussed topics on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/facebook/videos/10154243127871729
- A variety of global lists, including the most talked-about topics, entertainers, TV shows, movies, athletes, politicians, new games, in addition to the places with the most check ins on Facebook and the most popular new sticker packs.
- You can see their official Newsroom Post here: http://newsroom.fb.com/?p=5662
These trends are a clear indicator that social media is playing a big role in day-to-day life everywhere and India is no exception to that rule. Also the percolation of Facebook into almost ever aspect of our life is also very clearly seen in the trends. From a Political Leader heading the nation, to an entertainer and a natural calamity, just about everything is on Facebook and people discuss, share and use the information from here to actually make decisions that affect their lives. Can’t wait to see what the net year holds for us and Facebook.